Contractor management and the reasons for the Customer to be involved in the process.
Dec. 4 2020
Sooner or later almost each company involves a contractor which possesses a qualification in particular business activity and carries out special operations, for example, equipment repair, utility networks installation, construction and mounting works etc.
What does the Customer most often think of involving a Contractor? He thinks of high-quality performance of work within defined timeframes... and preferably without any incidents. What legal risks are possible for a Customer? According to cl. 22 of the "Procedure for the investigation and registration of accidents ... at work" (Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine No. 337 dtd. 04/17/2019), an accident that happened with an employee during work performance in the interests of his company on the territory of another company is investigated by a commission appointed by the company where the accident happened. And such accidents are registered by the company, which employee was injured.
The fact of organizing an investigation should push the Customer to focus on contractor management in the area of safety assurance and proactive work in order to prevent accidents. However, this requires additional resources, both time and human. Moreover, many companies involving a Contractor are often limited by issuance of work permits or operations certificates (for example - according to cl. 4.14, 4.21 of DBN "Labor protection and industrial safety in construction" or the requirements of industrial NPAOP). And then... your safety is your business?
Why is this actual and necessary to take closer attention on Contractors’ work?
The requirements on business commitment in contractor management are stipulated in the standard ISO 45001 "Occupational health and safety management systems" (further standard, OH&S), which states:
- the organization shall establish, implement and maintain a process(es) for hazard identification that is ongoing and proactive. The process(es) shall take into account including workers, contractors, visitors and other persons;
- the organization shall coordinate its procurement process(es) with its contractors, in order to identify hazards and to assess and control the OH&S risks;
- the organization shall ensure that the requirements of its OH&S management system are met by contractors and their workers.;
- the organization should verify that contractors are capable of performing their tasks before being allowed to proceed with their work.
By implementing the requirements of the international standards, the company undertakes to take care not only of its employees, but also of all interested parties such as the customers, the persons who may fall under the hazard of the company’s activity, the visitors and the Contractors. For such companies, in order to achieve established business goals, such as reported rate of injuries and illnesses, the accidents by third-party contractors also influence considerably.
Registered level of injuries and illnesses
In order to achieve these goals and to prevent the incidents with Contractors, an organization can use a variety of health and safety tools. For example, the implementation of the ''Procedure for the contractor management” which may be an integral part of contracts. Such Procedure may contain the algorithms for contractor verification, description of corporate safety requirement applicable on the territory of the Customer, as well as the requirements for a Contractor’s competencies:
- availability of certificates, licenses, work permits, declarations for the conduct of special activities and hazardous operations;
- procedure for interaction, information and communication;
- requirements to the development of project of method of works, technological maps or method statement, etc.;
- identification, assessment and risk management;
- the requirements for the second party audits;
- actions in emergency and in case of an incident;
- requirements for the final assessment of work;
and other required criteria (for example - qualification, experience and competence criteria for workers are specified and have been met, OH&S performance records are satisfactory etc.).
Namely a company following stated Policy based on the international standard in the OS&H management system, must demonstrate commitment to the implementation of the management system, with further participation and confirmation of compliance with the requirements through independent accredited certification organizations. Compliance with all the conditions of the standard suggests proactive work and, as a result, prevent incidents, preserves life and health of all persons on the territory of the Customer.
BUREAU VERITAS offers:
- Development and implementation of the Procedure "Contractor Management".
- Project management, verification of a Contractor competence.
- Inspection of works at the Customer's sites.
- Involvement as a coordinator during construction according to the "Minimum OH&S requirements for temporary or mobile construction sites".
No injuries and safe performance of work by the Contractor is also the image of the Customer, on whose territory the work is being carried out!