Export to African countries - expansion of sales markets for Ukrainian products
Dec. 16 2020
Do you want to expand the markets for your products and are already looking closely at the African market, but the strict local requirements of the importing countries for the quality of the imported goods seem very difficult and almost impossible to fulfill to you? WE are ready to help you and clarify all the unclear points using the example of export regulations to Tanzania.
According to many experts, African countries are one of the most promising directions for the export of Ukrainian goods. However, grain, corn, soybean and sunflower oil are mainly exported to the African market from Ukraine. The export of these goods is carried out by large traders and mainly to the countries of North Africa (up to 80% of exports to Africa). While for the middle segment of business, the growing markets (sauces, canned food, chicken, drinks, etc.) of the rest of Africa are more interesting.
So, before sending the goods to Tanzania, you need to confirm that the quality of the goods meets the Tanzanian quality standards. To enable exporters to inspect products before shipment without extra cost, the Tanzanian Bureau of Standards (TBS) has appointed Bureau Veritas to conduct inspections to verify the conformity of products before shipment to Tanzania (VoC - Verification of Conformity).
1. What is the main goal of this program?
- consumer and environmental protection
- compliance guarantee
- prompt customs clearance with an appropriate certificate (CoC - Certificate of Conformity)
2. What products are eligible for the program?
I. Toys and sports
II. Electrical and electronics
III. Automotive industry
IV. Chemical goods
V. Mechanical materials and gas appliances
Vi. Paper and stationery
Vii. Furniture (wood and metal products)
VIII. Safety equipment (personal protective equipment)
IX. Food and food
X. Products used
3. How does the verification and verification process take place?
The process is schematically as follows
4. What are the main steps in this procedure?
Step 1. Request a certificate
Importer / Exporter submits a certificate request to the local Bureau Veritas representative. The specified request must include:
- List, designation of goods intended for export, data on importer / exporter (name, address, invoice, ...)
- Available documents of conformity (for example: Certificates, test reports in accordance with the requirements of standards: Tanzanian, ISO, IEC, EN, ECE or Codex Alimentarius, Certificates of quality management systems or safety (ISO 22000, HACCP, ISO / TS 16949, ISO 13485 …). Such certificates must be issued by an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory)
- Information regarding the location and provisional date of availability of the goods for physical inspection prior to shipment. (Completing a Certificate Request Form (RFC))
Step 2: Documentary Review/Testing
Bureau Veritas reviews all information provided and verifies that it complies with Tanzanian standards. If necessary, laboratory tests / analyzes are carried out on the samples.
Step 3: inspection
Bureau Veritas verifies that:
- Products comply with applicable standards
- The presented goods are those that are identified during the documentary check
- The product matches its description in the import / export documents
- If necessary, Bureau Veritas inspectors can take samples for additional assessment.
Step 4: PVoC certificate
Bureau Veritas verifies the audit report with the submitted documents.
If the results are satisfactory, a protected Certificate of Conformity (CoC) is issued, otherwise a Non-Conformity Report is issued. Exporters are advised not to ship their goods until the required Certificate has been issued.
As you can tell, these 4 steps are not at all difficult for an exporter who wants to supply his products to Tanzania (or to other African countries). The main thing is to prepare documentary confirmation of the quality of the goods by the relevant laboratory, as well as clarify with the recipient the labeling requirements and other special requirements of the country of destination.
We wish you success in entering new markets!